Sunday, June 26, 2011

Miriam's Update

Hey everyone!
 Whew! It's been over a week since my last posting and we've been busy!  Plus it's been a pain to get in and out of the property because of all the rain. 
    

This past week, in my midwife internship, we learn several different skills.  We learned how to suture on a chicken breast which was way awesome!! =)  I would love to take a more intense class of it.  We did different shots, vacuum extraction, and nasal gastric feeding tube...Probably more, but my mind isn't remembering them all! 

 One evening that I was on call at the clinic, I had to walked through the rain and knee-deep river water to get out!!  (The water wasn't moving)  Good times =)
   

I was able to be a part of 3 births this past week!!  And they all happened within 13 hours! =)  The first one was at 2PM, then 1:30AM, and 4:10AM.  I almost got baptized with amniotic fluid with one of the births. Glad I have fast reflexes =)
 
 For one of the births I was able to cut the chord, which was awesome!!  I had watched a couple be cut and explained to me and then I got to do it!

  
I'm now staying at the clinic (about a 25 min walk from the property) so I can always be around for births, prenatals, and postpartum visits.  My internship is over on July 15th when 2 other interns come in, so I want to get in as much as I can in my last two weeks.  I'll probably be able to help with some things after that, but only if the other interns aren't there for some reason.    

Three of the girls who were here for the intense two week training left yesterday and I already miss them!! They were super neat girls!  Allison is heading to Australia to do the YWAM midwife program, Nadia is headed to Thailand for 6 months of YWAM training and then to India indefinitely, and Amy is going back to Taiwan to finish up teaching English in several different schools there... Had super fun, good times with them all!
  
This next week is the last week I have with the other intern, Kelly. She's 37, has 3 kids and is very awesome to be around!  Her and her husband want to move to China and she wants to use midwifery there as a ministry.
     

A lot of our things are getting moldy out at the property because of the rain and humidity and just not being able to dry out.  I cleaned our money off yesterday cuz it got moldy. =/  But we're dealing with it =)  The washing lady either must hate us or love us for bringing her so many clothes! =) I better sign out for now!
 Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment